Monday, December 15, 2008

2008 Family Christmas Letter

Merry Christmas!!!

As we come to the close of this year, I can’t help but feel thankful for all the great things that happened this year. It seems amazing that it’s winding down and we’re getting ready to start 2009. We spent this passed year, it seems, working on and trying to complete some projects. Cory spent the bulk of the spring and summer months working on the yard. He and Noah got to the point where if they saw another shovel, they might go crazy! We spent a week in Lake Tahoe this year as a family and enjoyed every second of it. We went to see Virginia City and spent time at the beach in Tahoe. The kids swam to their hearts content in the pool at our hotel. We also finally finished our hardwood flooring in the house, much thanks to help from dad and Soji’s husband, Jay.

Cory started his new job at EG&G as a Project Manager this year and is loving the new challenge. He’s also re-enrolled in school and is on track to getting his Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management. This has made for an extinction of free time for him, but it’s all worth it. He is the Second Councilor in the Sunday School Presidency and is the ‘interim’ Employment Specialist for our ward.

I am finishing off the year in a sad and yet exciting way. The company I’ve worked for, for the passed 12 years decided to idle it’s operations at the Grantsville location (thanks to the fabulous economy we’re enjoying!), so I am now going to get to try my hand at staying home. I’m excited for the chance to be with my kids, I just hope they don’t kill me before I get the hang of what I’m doing! I am a Relief Society teacher now, and it still scares me to death each week before I teach. But, I’m enjoying the challenge, and hoping that some day it will get easier.

Noah is 12 and started Jr. High this year and is the 7th Grade class President. He played tennis this year and his tennis team ended the season as District Champs. He ran in 3 more 5K’s this summer and his best time was around 20 minutes! He played football, of course, and had a great season! His team was able to play in the Border Warz tournament, which allowed them to compete against teams from all over Utah and Idaho. This tournament was held at the new Rio Tinto Stadium and was a fantastic experience. He’s now moved on to basketball and is having lots of fun with that. Noah is 1st Councilor in his Deacon’s Quorum and has really enjoyed Young Men’s.

Taylor is 9 and is in 4th grade this year and seems to be growing up before my eyes. She played tennis this summer as well, and seems to have found a sport that she really loves. She got to where she wanted to spend all her free time at the courts, either taking lessons, or helping the younger kids with theirs. I secretly think what she loves most about the sport is the clothes! She loves a good tennis skirt!! She and Noah took piano lessons this summer as well from Colter’s wife, Tasha, who is also her voice teacher. She is now back in Cheerleading and gymnastics and is happy as ever. She is performing at quite a few High School basketball games this winter, and has a Cheer competition in February, so we are going to be busy keeping up with her.

Ian started Kindergarten this year and will turn 6 on the 29th of December. This was a hard transition for me. But, he loves school and the challenges of learning and is thriving. Ian has been able to spend afternoons at Grandma and Grandpa Marshall’s and has thus become the most spoiled kid I know. Ian often complains that his life is spent following Noah and Taylor to their events, and he’s probably right. Thank goodness for portable DVD players and the Nintendo DS. Ian is currently taking gymnastics and has the best time at it. He also loves to run. In the summer, he would often put an Ipod in and run around our neighborhood for a good half hour to an hour. He watched Noah train for his races and found he loves it himself. He even runs at recess at school!!

How can we ever top all this? It’s been a wonderful year; a year of growth, new experiences, some tears and lots of love. We’ve been blessed beyond measure and I’m so thankful for this opportunity to sit down and count my blessings. We want to wish each of you a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

1 comments:

Lacey Sue said...

Your family is amazing, busy, busy, busy...but amazing...and I love you all!