Thursday, May 28, 2009

I have a teenager....





April 22, 1996 marked the beginning of a new chapter of my life. It was the day I became a mother....I'll forever remember when Noah was born how terrified I was. Terrified yet so totally in love. I've learned the truth of the statement that being a mother is watching pieces of your heart walk around outside your body. And this year, as Noah turned 13 I've had the opportunity to look back and reflect on him and all the reasons I'm so glad he's mine!

1) Noah still will hug and kiss me good-bye. He doesn't care who is around...he'll still give me a kiss sitting in front of the Jr. High!

2) Noah has been my 'man of the house' and takes his responsibilities seriously. He is a wonderful big brother.

3) Noah is a social butterfly. He loves all kinds of people and has never limited himself in who he'll be friends with. He makes friends easily and thrives when he's involved in whatever is going on.

4) Noah is an athlete and takes competition very seriously. I am proud of him every time he goes out to compete in whatever he's doing. I always know he's leaving 100% of himself out there. (sometimes we DO have to remind him that all sports can't be played with the same, uh, aggression as football though..wink wink) He also enjoys watching sports endless on TV. During football season, he and his Dad spend hours watching games...then analyzing and discussing the games after.

5) Noah has a tender heart. He worries about those he loves and wants them to be happy.

6) Noah has a strong testimony of the gospel. Noah KNOWS that we are here for a reason, and what that reason is. Noah has never been afraid to share or been embarrassed of his beliefs and will one day make an amazing missionary.

7) Noah loves his grandparents and counts himself lucky to have them involved in his life.

8) Noah is incredibly smart and loves to gather knowledge about whatever strikes his interest at the moment....but getting the kid to do homework is the trial of my existence! I'm wondering if he's a touch ADHD because his attention span is that of a 3 year old.... ;)Despite his aversion to traditional schoolwork... he is open to very different ways of thinking and has learned so much about things many people never get to experience.

9) Noah loves to laugh. He is always joking around and trying to get everyone around him in on the fun.

10) Noah is cautious...to a fault. I'm afraid his Dad and I haven't helped much in that area either. He worries about germs, natural disasters, terrorists, flying, bugs, snakes, diseases.....you name it, he worries about it.

11) Noah loves younger kids, especially his cousins. And he's a great example to them.

12) Noah loves music (that's my boy!!) and loves to play my game of, "Who sings this?" while listening to the radio or one of our I-pods. I'm so proud to say that my son can correctly identify songs by the Beatles, Erasure, Depeche Mode, AC/DC, Aerosmith.....just to name a few!!

13) Noah has always been one of my greatest sources of strength. He has journeyed with me through some tough times. He was my man of the house and made sure Tay and I were taken care of. He gratefully relinquished that job and has continued to learn by his Dad's example on how to be a worthy Priesthood holder and one day, husband and father.

I love you Noah!!!

3 comments:

Lacey Sue said...

I am so proud of you Noah! I always tell Braden, "Someday, your going to get big and grown up like Noah!!" I love you No-pie just like you were one of my own!!! In fact, I consider you my little brother!!! I love ya kid...Happy late birthday!

Soji said...

Noah is such a wonderful young man!! I wanted to say kid, but the truth is that he really isn't a kid anymore. I'm so proud of the teenager that he is. Not very many kids his age still give their parent, grandparents & aunts/uncles a hug and an I love you.
I love you Nopie!!

Gail said...

You are lucky to have such a good kid. I know we enjoy him! I'm way late, but how you had a great day Noah.