I've worked at Chemical Lime now for over 12 years. 12 years in an actual functioning - we blow up the mountain - mine. Now, my job keeps me in the office (thank goodness) but I know who pays my paycheck and that is the guys out in the plant. Well, I let my mouth get the better of me last week when I mentioned that I'd never even been in one of our Euclid trucks. They are the huge trucks that are used to haul rock down from the mountain after a blast. Well, my boss thought it would be great fun to get me to 'cross train' for a day and experience the real mine jobs. So...I got to go for a ride up in the quarry in the Euc. Now, big props to Ben Roberts (the driver) for taking me up there, and for not smacking me as I about had a panic attack while driving on those narrow roads in that huge beast of a truck. He offered to let me drive, and I quickly told him I'd rather die first!!
Then, all the men had gathered in front of the office to watch me take a stab at operating the bobcat. Now, from an observers point of view, this looks like it should be fairly easy. Let me tell you, it's not. Your hands control your direction and how fast your going, while the feet control the bucket. Wow...under some great and PATIENT teaching, I was finally able to drive the bobcat around, pick up a scoop of fines and then dump them again.
I have so much more respect for those guys who run equipment every day. It isn't easy, and they make it look that way. Thank goodness for office jobs and for working with a great group of people. If I have to be away from my family each day, I at least get to be with some pretty cool people!!
Sunday, November 9, 2008
I actually do work...while I'm at work...
Posted by keysha at 11:35 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
Looks like allot of fun, but I am glad I don't have to do it everyday! Keysha will you tell lacy to send me her email so I can send her mine so she can let me on her blog. hmkimber@wirelessbeehive.com
Hey Keysha...check out my blog...under Meningitis! Love you!
Oh Kesha that is hilarious!! I would be so intimidated by all that big equipment...it's always good to try new things and check some of those "never haves" off our lists! The kids looked darling for halloween...it was fun to get caught up on you guys!!!
I love love love this blog entry, Sis. It is fabulous! And especially with the plant closing, it's priceless memories. I'm so glad you got to do it!
Post a Comment