Sunday morning...what a great change from the rest of the week. I woke up fairly early and just enjoyed the quiet house. I started preparing for my Relief Society lesson I'm teaching next week while the kids were trickling out of bed. Well, let me clarify, the boys were out of bed. Taylor is my one that would sleep late every day. She didn't get up until we woke her up. The boys were working on some project at the table. Pictures of something or other...all I cared is that the TV isn't turned on and it's a quiet activity. Sunday is the one day of the week that I can require a little peace and quiet.
Cory decided to make breakfast, what a good man. He opted for a breakfast casserole, which I guided him through while I was working on the lesson. I gave him the basic instructions, hashbrowns, browned sausage, eggs with cheese on top. I thought he knew that for this you only figure about one egg per person your feeding. Well, he didn't. After about 4 times hearing the buzzer go off, I went in to see what the deal was. He asked me to check the casserole and I about cracked up. He had put so many eggs (he later told me he put in about a dozen) in that darn thing that it was going to take half a day to cook it. I finally made him stop opening the oven and just let it cook. But, once it was done, it was wonderful!! Really good and 'eggy'. : )
Since our church isn't until 1:00pm, we had plenty of time after breakfast to just hang out, so as a family, we started to tackle Taylor's school project. She was supposed to build an Indian dwelling of her choice. She chose a teepee like the Piaute's lived in. Between her and her Dad, they got the frame built up and secured onto the board. We got the canvas cut out to fit around the frame and glued some grass to the cardboard. At this point we were forced to stop because the Gorilla glue we'd been using to secure everything was taking an extremely long time to dry. Freakishly long.
While the older members of the family were working on that project, Ian had begun working on one of his own. He found our video camera tripod and set up his own teepee in the family room. He took off his shirt and had made a headband with a feather in it, to make it more authentic! It was too cute. One of my favorite things about him is his imagination. When he gets into something, he goes 100%. He absorbs himself into the things he loves and literally tries to live it.
It was finally time to get ready for church, so we started the race for the shower so we could make it out the door on time. Church was wonderful, mostly due to the fact that it wasn't my Sunday to teach. I could sit back and enjoy!
We got home and ate a quick lunch/dinner of leftovers (a tradition my mother starts for Sundays' when I was growing up) and Cory and Noah went home teaching. I love watching them go home teaching together. I am so thankful to have two worthy Priesthood holders in my house.
When they returned home, it was time to start working on the family teepee project again. We all gathered around the table and added to our masterpiece. I sewed the canvas and put all the Indian drawings on it while Cory and the kids built a fire inside the teepee made of broken pretzels and a flame made of orange paper. We then sent Noah and Ian outside to get some rocks from the swell to add to the landscape. A few well placed sticks finished it off. And there you have it, a Piaute Indian teepee.
Soji and Jay stopped by for a visit and we took a welcome time out to visit with them for a while. The kids love Aunt Soji and Uncle Jay...probably because Aunt Soji and Uncle Jay haven't been jaded by children of their own. That, and Jay has an Iphone that all three of the kids fight over playing with. While they were here, Ian decided to start working on writing to 100 again. Which, he said was going to be a challenge because he didn't have his 100's chart. I tried my best to make a substitute chart, but I don't think it worked as well. He soon got frustrated with my crude design and moved on to another activity. But, he still requested that I take a picture and post what he'd accomplished up to that point.
All in all, what a great day. I love my Sundays, I NEED my Sundays. A day without running around, friends, TV, video games and all other outside stuff. A day to just be together, remember what's important, enjoy the small stuff, and to be reminded why we're trying so hard anyway.
Monday, October 20, 2008
Sunday, October 19, 2008 -Day Four
Posted by keysha at 8:24 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
The Tee-pee actually turned out awesome, no doubt about it, it's a good thing Grandma and I ran that up isn't it??!!? :)
I love your little family Keysha, you guys rock!
Hey....What a fun surprise to get your comment on our blog........I linked through to yours, and I think my jaw hit the ground...........ADORABLE I had no idea you were such an avid blogger !!! I am totally just a beginner, I honestly just started last month but I'm already addicted. I can't believe how dedicated you are.....do you take your camera everywhere with you? Or do you use your phone? I can't believe you can document about practically everything in a day, what an awesome journal for your family....you will love having it as the years pass. anyway I'm so glad you found me. Your kids are my very very favorite, whenever the kids ask me if the can play with your kids I say YES of course... they are so fun....and it's pretty pathetic that we haven't gotten together yet isn't it! oh well I guess now we can see what's going on right behind us, all through the comfort of our own computers....crazy isn't it! talk to ya soon.
Don't you love how it takes a whole family to complete these projects they give our kids in school? You are doing great at this and I love reading what you guys are up to...oh and I'm very impressed that you prepared your lesson a whole week ahead of time. You go girl.
Post a Comment