Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A week of milestones...

It's funny how often you are just going through the motions, doing the day to day routine and you don't notice changes happening around you. Yesterday, I had to work late and didn't get home until 7:30pm. That meant I wasn't home to get the kids anything to eat when they got home from school, or before football practice. But, much to my surprise when I got home, Taylor informed me that she had made Ian two scrambled egg sandwiches that day. Now, by making them I mean she cracked the eggs, put them in a pan, COOKED said eggs, etc., etc., etc.. What the heck? When did she get old enough to cook?!? How have I not noticed her growing up and being ready for things like this?

Then, this morning when I dropped Ian off for school (forgot to mention, I have the rest of the week off of work! yeah!) he told me he was ready to walk into the school by himself. Now, this is no small feat for Ian. He has been almost paralyzed with fear over walking into the school himself. There were just too many scenarios that he couldn't control that scared him. What if his teacher wasn't there? What if a teacher NEVER came? What if he got lost? Well, today my baby grew up. He ran through his contingency plans and told me what he'd do if any of the above situations happened. I sat in the car and watched him until he disappeared into the doors of W.E.S. trying not to cry. My baby is growing up. He's conquering his fears...without me. I'm proud and broken hearted in the same moment.

1 comments:

Lacey Sue said...

Go Taylor! I remember the first time I got brave and cooked, it WAS a huge deal, so I am WAY proud of you Taylor! Way proud!
And Ian, holy smokes boy, you are rockin' the house! Good for you, walkin' into the school all by your big boy self. I agree Keysha, they are growing up before our very eyes, growing up ... and savin' China!