Friday, October 17, 2008

A week in the life of us. Thursday, October 16, 2008

Thanks to great inspiration from my good friend Gail, I decided to try to do what has never been done before...especially by me. The challenge was to document a week of your life. Although totally overwhelming, I loved the idea of having a little snap shot of history documented forever. In even a year or so, I will have forgotten what my life was like at this moment, in this time. As time passes by, my kids will grow up, our lives will change, our habits different.....as for now, this, is my life.....

Thursday 10/16/2008-

This day started like most weekdays. My dreaded trip to the gym. I've set the alarm clock so that I can hit snooze just once, before I really have to get up. For some reason this makes me feel less crappy about waking up so early.
I tried to capture the clock as well as the gym in this picture...but somehow, the effect was lost. It looks like I did catch the temp this morning...a chilly 39 degrees. Oh well, it was pretty stinkin' early in the morning. I'm lucky I remembered the camera.

After an hour of sweat early in the morning, I head home to start rousing the family. Generally Cory is barely getting up when I walk through the door. This allows both of us a little bit of time to shower and get dressed before waking the kids up. Wow...that's a job that never gets old. (insert tons of sarcasm!) I normally start the 'wake ups' 10 minutes before they actually have to get up. This gives them time to fall back asleep on top of the covers, then on the floor next to the bed, even sometimes on the floor outside of the bathroom while they are waiting for their turn.

Once everyone is showered, dressed, homework gathered and signed and breakfast scarfed down, we are out the door. Tay and Ian go to Grandma and Grandpa's since their schools don't start until later. I get to drop Noah off at school each day on my way to work.

This is the site that greets me each morning...kindof dismal isn't it? This time of year, it's not quite light outside when I pull in each morning, so it always feels eerie. At least I wasn't the first one there today. The lights were already on for me!

This site is all that I see for the next 8.5 hours. Lovely, huh? Luckily, I work with some pretty cool people, so it makes the time go by fairly quickly. The little bit of green you see peaking into the picture on the far left is an actual real life plant that I, myself, have kept alive for about a year now. That plant is a real accomplishment for me. Inside plants are my nemesis and have never stayed alive under my care...until now. It must be something about lime...it must make plants a little more hearty. This particular Thursday at the lime plant brought plenty of normal stuff. Nothing too blog worthy..let's hope work stays that way!

As I left work on Thursday, I headed to my twice weekly after work stop. The Post Office. Yes, my friends, I am the mail girl as well. I know...I know...I have a glamorous job. Oh well, the skies were blue and I was off work...for the rest of the week! Our plant is a Union plant and one of our negotiated holidays is the day before the opening day of the deer hunt. Yes, very redneck, I know. But, honestly, all I care is that it's a day off work. Hooray for the deer hunt.

The kids are off school for the U.E.A. break, so they both had big plans for the night. Taylor had been planning with her friend Calli to have a sleepover and then they were going to go to Frightmares at Lagoon on Friday. And Noah wanted to have some friends over to sleep at our house. Now, my kids knowing me so very well, knew that if these activities were really going to come to fruition, they would need to butter me up. And the one thing that almost always works, is having the house clean. Now, I forgot to mention before that I got off work a little bit early, so I was set to arrive home before they would expect to see me. But, even with that little glitch, I got home and to my surprise I had a pretty clean house and some extremely busy, well behaved and friendly children!! Well, I guess I should clarify, the two OLDER children had been busy little bees and were the ones to blame for the clean-ish house. My baby, my sweetest baby, was playing on the computer and didn't even notice when I walked in the door!! You'll be glad to hear their buttering up worked and I said yes yes yes to their plans for the evening!


But, before any of the festivities could begin, Noah had football practice at 5:00pm.

I hurried and took him down to the field and dropped him off, so I could rush back home and get Taylor ready to leave with Callie. She had fussed and fssed over her wardrobe for the next day. She said her and Callie wanted to be, and I quote, "matchy, matchy". This required many phones calls and much decision making before they settled on black leggings, denim skirts, white t-shirts, tennis shoes, and white jackets to finish off the look. Ahhhh, wardrobe perfect for Frightmares had been achieved.


Once the girls were off to begin their night-o-fun, Cory, who had arrived home from work at this point, hopped in the car with me and we ran down to Soelberg's to grab a few items. Now, this isn't a normal thing for us. I normally try and avoid Soelberg's unless we have no choice, mostly due to their insanley high prices and low selection. But, this night was falling into that 'no choice' catagory. We had to go to the store, and there wasn't time to go to Tooele.


So, once that errand was complete we headed back to the football in order to get Noah. His team has a great tradition of doing "Thursday Night Treats". The parents take turns bringing some type of treat, meal, whatever to feed the boys after practice. There's always good food and the boys have so much fun. It's a great chance for them to 'unwind' and just be kids for a little bit.

Once that was done, Noah hopped in the car and we jetted for home. He showered in record time (30 minutes instead of his normal 45) and his friends arrived around 8:00pm. They came loaded down with games and they spent the majority of night playing Guitar Hero and games on the Wii. I also heard that there was some texting of certain 8th grade girls involved as well....but when I pressed too hard there was some pretty red cheeks looking back at me. I think I'll have to delve deeper into this issue in the coming days....

Ahhh...there you have it. Thursday October 16, 2008 with the Mecham Clan.

2 comments:

Ken said...

Keep up the good work. It is interesting for me to know what happens to my family when I am stuck here in Salt Lake. It is very interesting for me to know what my kids and grandkids are doing.

Lacey Sue said...

Your a freaking riot Keysh. I can't believe you actually took a picture of the gym...the lame butt gym!! But I have to say, I admire you getting there at 4:30 in the morning AH! GAG! I struggle to reach the gym and do my run by 10. hehee! I love your little family, watching them grow up reminds me SO much of our childhood. Don't you remember the mad dash to clean the house to make mom all buttered up so we could do/get/go something!??